ADVERTISEMENT

‘Ebola likely circulating in DRC for two months’

EGYPTIAN GAZETTE
May 20, 2026

GENEVA (Reuters) – The Ebola outbreak linked to more than 130 deaths in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo likely started two months ago and is expected to ‌continue to grow, the World Health Organisation said on Wednesday. The outbreak of the rare Bundibugyo strain, for which there is no vaccine, was declared last Friday and has alarmed experts because of how long it went undetected while spreading across a densely populated area, making it difficult to trace and isolate the contacts of infected individuals. The WHO had previously pointed to “a critical four-week detection gap” between when the first known case started showing symptoms and laboratory confirmation of the outbreak. “Investigations are ongoing to ascertain when and where exactly this outbreak started,” Anais Legand, WHO technical officer for viral threats, told reporters in Geneva. “Given the scale, we are thinking that it has started probably a couple of months ago.” Six hundred suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths have been recorded so far, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters in Geneva. Fifty-one cases have been confirmed by laboratory testing in DRC, and two cases have also been confirmed in neighbouring Uganda. Tedros said a WHO Emergency Committee had met on Tuesday and confirmed the outbreak was a public health emergency of international concern but not a pandemic emergency. He had declared the emergency at the weekend, the first time a WHO chief had taken that step without first consulting experts, due to the urgency of the situation. “The WHO assess the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels and low at the global level,” Tedros said. Super-spreader event suspected The Bundibugyo strain of Ebola that caused the outbreak has an average fatality rate of around 40 per cent, according to WHO. Unlike with the more common Zaire strain, ⁠there are no approved virus-specific therapeutics or vaccines, and testing capacity is limited. WHO experts have said that two possible vaccines are under consideration for use in the outbreak but could take three to nine months to be developed. A 2018 to 2020 outbreak of the Zaire strain in eastern DRC was the second-deadliest on record, killing nearly 2,300 people. “Our absolute priority now is to identify all the existing chains of transmission … that will then enable us to really define the scale of the outbreak and be able to provide care,” said Chikwe Ihekweazu, WHO emergencies chief. WHO experts said the first suspected Ebola death was reported on April 20. They believe that the first death was followed by a super-spreading event either at a funeral or a healthcare facility. Reuters reported on Monday that confirmation of an outbreak was slowed by missteps by medical personnel, including an initial failure to escalate samples for further testing after they came back negative for the Zaire strain Among the confirmed Ebola cases are an American doctor who was working in Congo and has been transferred to Germany. Another US doctor who came into contact with a patient infected with Ebola is being transferred from Uganda to a hospital in Prague, Czech officials said on Wednesday. The US government said it had mobilised an initial $13 million to respond to the outbreak and would help open 50 clinics to treat Ebola cases. Experts have suggested the delays in detecting the outbreak may also show gaps in preparedness following cutbacks by the US and other major donors to global health funding. Tedros said that it was too early to say whether funding cuts in Congo or to the WHO had contributed to any delays in detecting or responding to the outbreak. The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention said on Wednesday that South Africa had pledged $2.5 million to support the Ebola response. The post ‘Ebola likely circulating in DRC for two months’ appeared first on Egyptian Gazette.

Share this article

Read Full Article at Source

Related Articles

LIXIL Core Earnings Up 23% in FYE2026, Profitability Improved in Both Japan and International Businesses
LIXIL Corporation reported a 22.9% increase in core earnings to ¥38.5 billion for the fiscal year ending 31 March 2026, driven by improved profitability across both its domestic Japanese and international operations despite a challenging global business environment. Consolidated revenue for the water and housing products manufacturer rose 0.4% year-on-year to ¥1,510.7 billion. Net profit…
DAILY NEWS EGYPT
May 21, 2026
PM: Presidential follow-up enabled New Delta completion in record time
Egypt’s Prime Minister Moustafa Madbouli has reaffirmed that the New Delta project represents a major integrated national achievement and stands as a source of pride for all Egyptians, stressing that the project reflects the state’s strategic vision to strengthen food security, expand agricultural development and support sustainable economic growth. Speaking during the weekly Cabinet meeting…
EGYPTIAN GAZETTE
May 21, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
All Portals 🇱🇧🇦🇪🇪🇬🇸🇦 كل البوابات
Latest News Politics Economy & Business Opinion International Sports Entertainment Society Local