ADVERTISEMENT

US Court Accuses Former Venezuelan Industry Minister of Money Laundering for Maduro

ENGLISH AAWSAT
May 19, 2026

Venezuela’s former minister of industry appeared in a US court Monday to face money laundering charges under accusations of being a front man for deposed president Nicolas Maduro. Alex Saab, a 54-year-old Colombia-born businessman and close ally of Maduro’s, appeared in US federal court in Miami where he was indicted on charges he oversaw a network that exploited a subsidized food aid program for Venezuela known as CLAP. “Alex Saab allegedly used American banks to launder hundreds of millions of dollars stolen from a Venezuelan food program meant for the poor and proceeds from the illegal sale of Venezuelan oil,” US Assistant Attorney General A. Tysen Duva said in a statement. Saab, who was expelled from Venezuela on Saturday, had originally become involved with politics in the South American country during the final years of leftist firebrand Hugo Chavez’s 1999-2013 presidency, said AFP. Under Maduro, he was accused of acting as front man and money launderer, and in return was granted Venezuelan citizenship and a diplomatic passport. First hit by US sanctions in 2019, Saab had been arrested in Cape Verde in 2020 and extradited to the United States the following year, but he was released in 2023 as part of a negotiated prisoner exchange with Venezuela. Maduro appointed Saab to be his minister of industry in 2024, but shortly after US forces Maduro in a deadly Caracas raid earlier this year, interim president Delcy Rodriguez dismissed him from all his posts.

Share this article

Read Full Article at Source

Related Articles

Defense Ministry completes comprehensive preparations for Hajj
MAKKAH — The Ministry of Defense has completed preparations for the 2026 Hajj season through a comprehensive plan involving military, civilian, medical, and operational personnel in Makkah, Madinah, and the holy sites. The initiative supports security and government agencies in ensuring pilgrims’ safety and smooth movement during Hajj.Land troops will help regulate crowds and detect…
SAUDI GAZETTE
May 21, 2026
3 Egyptians arrested for attempting to enter Makkah without a Hajj permit
MAKKAH — The Hajj security forces arrested three Egyptian residents for violating Hajj regulations after they attempted to enter Makkah through unpaved roads and valleys without valid Hajj permits. Legal procedures have been initiated against them.The General Administration of Mujahideen urged everyone to comply with the instructions regulating the 2026 Hajj season and to cooperate…
SAUDI GAZETTE
May 21, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
All Portals 🇱🇧🇦🇪🇪🇬🇸🇦 كل البوابات
Latest News Politics Economy & Business Opinion International Sports Entertainment Society Local