FIFA has opened separate disciplinary proceedings against Egypt head coach Hossam Hassan, team director Ibrahim Hassan and forward Mostafa Zico over comments connected to Egypt’s match against Argentina at the 2026 FIFA World Cup.The proceedings concern allegations of favouritism towards Argentina and a lack of fairness during the match, as well as messages in which the Hassan twins expressed support for Palestine, according to official FIFA correspondence obtained by Al Bayan.Three letters issued by FIFA’s disciplinary department said the cases relate to the Argentina-Egypt match played on July 7, 2026.Proceedings against Hossam HassanAccording to an investigative report submitted to the prosecutor of FIFA’s Disciplinary and Ethics Committee, Hossam Hassan made public statements before and after the match that were considered potentially relevant from a disciplinary perspective.The letter concerning the head coach said his declaration of support for Palestine during the pre-match press conference constituted a message of a non-sporting nature.After the match, Hassan alleged that Argentina had received preferential treatment to help the team continue in the tournament, whether for marketing reasons, because it was the defending champion or because Lionel Messi was in the squad.He also claimed Egypt had been deliberately subjected to “grave injustice” and said he would not watch any more matches at the tournament because he believed it lacked fairness.Hassan reportedly described the result as being far removed from the principles of fair play promoted by FIFA and alleged that external factors before the match and incidents during it had improperly influenced the outcome.FIFA cited Article 13 of its Disciplinary Code, concerning offensive behaviour and violations of fair-play principles, as well as Article 13.1, covering compliance with FIFA regulations and the principles of fair play, loyalty and integrity.The potential violations also include Article 13.2(a), concerning breaches of the basic rules of decent conduct; Article 13.2(c), covering the use of a sporting event to express views of a non-sporting nature; and Article 13.2(d), relating to conduct that brings football or FIFA into disrepute.Separate case against Ibrahim HassanFIFA also opened a separate disciplinary case against Ibrahim Hassan over comments he made after the match.According to the report, the Egypt team director alleged that the result had been predetermined, Argentina’s victory had been guaranteed and Egypt had been unfairly denied a win.He reportedly said the match had “already been decided” and alleged that officials had “ensured Argentina’s victory”. He also claimed Egypt had been subjected to extreme injustice and accused match officials of depriving the team of its rights.The report said Ibrahim Hassan repeated messages supporting Palestine and claimed that what happened during the match was inconsistent with FIFA’s fair-play principles.FIFA listed the same potential violations under Articles 13, 13.1, 13.2(a), 13.2(c) and 13.2(d).Mostafa Zico accused of criticising refereeSeparate disciplinary proceedings were also opened against Egypt forward Mostafa Zico over comments attributed to him about the match referee.According to the FIFA letter, Zico accused the referee of lacking integrity, deliberately disallowing legitimate Egyptian goals and manipulating the outcome.He reportedly alleged that Egypt had been treated unfairly and that “everything turned against us”. He also claimed Argentina’s victory was not secured on sporting merit and described the 2026 World Cup as a “fixed and manipulated tournament”.FIFA cited Article 13, Article 13.2(a) and Article 13.2(d) in Zico’s case.It also listed a potential violation of Article 14.1(j), concerning unsporting conduct towards a match official. This alleged violation was not included in the letters addressed to Hossam Hassan and Ibrahim Hassan.Six days to respondFIFA gave each of the three individuals six days from the date they were notified to submit their positions and responses to the secretariat of its Disciplinary Committee, in accordance with Article 38 of the Disciplinary Code.If a response is not submitted within the deadline, the committee will decide the case based on the documents already contained in the respective files, pursuant to Article 12.5.FIFA said each party may appoint one legal representative. The relevant power of attorney must be uploaded through its legal portal.The Egyptian Football Association, which received copies of all three letters, was instructed to forward them immediately to Hossam Hassan, Ibrahim Hassan and Mostafa Zico.The opening of disciplinary proceedings does not itself constitute a finding of guilt or the imposition of sanctions.