ADVERTISEMENT

Bodies of two Italians killed in Maldives scuba diving accident recovered, government says

Emirates 24-7
May 19, 2026

Male: The bodies of two Italian divers killed ‌in ​a scuba diving accident in the Maldives have been recovered, a Maldives government spokesperson said on Tuesday, as efforts continue to retrieve the remains of two others.The divers were ⁠part of a group of five who entered a deepwater cave last week. The remains of one among them – their instructor – was ‌recovered on Friday.The bodies were brought up to 30 metres by a specialist team ‌of Finnish divers – who joined the efforts ‌this week – after which Maldivian divers and ‌the police assisted in ‌bringing them to the surface, spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef told ​Reuters.”Identities have ‌not been ​confirmed yet, but we ⁠know that it’s a male and female body that has been recovered,” he said.The group ​that ⁠entered the ⁠cave was led by Monica Montefalcone, 51, a University of Genoa professor and marine ecologist who was ⁠a regular diver in Maldivian waters in the Indian Ocean, and also included her daughter.Maldivian authorities are probing multiple possible factors behind the accident – the deadliest single incident ‌in the country’s diving history – including whether the divers descended far ​deeper than expected.The two remaining bodies will be recovered on Wednesday, according to the government’s plan. 

Share this article

Read Full Article at Source

Related Articles

UAE, France deepen strategic economic partnership: Business France CEO
Dubai: Louis Margueritte, Chief Executive Officer of Business France, the French national agency for international business development, affirmed that France and the United Arab Emirates possess strong elements of economic complementarity.Speaking during a dialogue session hosted today at the Dubai Press Club on the sidelines of his visit to the UAE, Margueritte said that artificial…
Emirates 24-7
May 20, 2026
PFL MENA to stage ‘Pride of Arabia’ in Dubai
Dubai: Pride of Arabia will take place at Coca-Cola Arena in Dubai from May 23 to 24, bringing together fighters from 11 countries across the Middle East and North Africa for the 2026 season opener.Held in collaboration with Dubai Sports Council and the Dubai Department of Economy and Tourism, the two-night event combines mixed martial…
Emirates 24-7
May 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
All Portals 🇱🇧🇦🇪🇪🇬🇸🇦 كل البوابات
Latest News Politics Economy & Business Opinion International Sports Entertainment Society Local